Monday, June 20, 2016

All in one packages (the good, the bad, the ugly)

I remember providing instructions on installing "all in one" packages for Windows systems - like anaconda, canopy and so on -

1) The good - well, they are all in one - so no need to look around for packages to install - you have everything you need in one grand package
2) The bad - sometimes, a package in that all in one may be buggy - and you may want to use an older version (or a newer version) - well, I am sure you can install any version of any package - but it may not be that easy (!) ... I discovered for example that the latest/greatest openpyxl package (functions to read/write xlsx files) has some bugs - and I discovered (accidentally) that 1.6.2 worked as I wanted to (and not the 2.x.x versions)
3) The ugly - often you may not know in any all in one package as to where the problem is - so if you install package by package you can debug easily


No comments:

Post a Comment